Friday, February 20, 2009

Roots of Existence


‘Never forget your roots’ is something we have grown up listening to. No matter how high up you reach, always remember where you came from. Humble, down to earth and essentially unquestioning is what the successful man is. I have also heard this time and again; and there was a time I actually believed it. I have always had problems at home. Always, what I said was right, was termed extremely, vulgarly wrong and unthinkable by my parents. I was not a family person and without feelings consequently. As I grew up, I apparently forgot my roots and therefore lost touch with myself.

Myself! What am I? This is the question I asked myself suddenly when I saw this picture- ‘Roots of Existence’, clicked by a dear friend, Sudip Chakraborty. What does it tell us? That roots are all important? No. Not for me at least. When I looked at it, I saw strength and an incompleteness which whispered, 'live'. Then when I walked out and saw a tree, all of a sudden I saw the height which branches reach. Are they connected to their roots, I thought. The branches come from the roots, but they are not connected. Their nourishment is through the roots, but what would happen if the roots don’t let the branches go? We will have only retarded trees growing in on themselves.

I am, what is live in me. And what is live in me is what grows. What grows always grows away from me. Growth backward is redundancy! I would go so far as to say, that the sign of life is the ability to let go. Each point in the branch is live only till the next point is built on it. Then, it is that which is live. I have always been told that the root is what matters. The root is strength for you can cut any amount of the tree, but if the roots are intact, it will survive. No one ever told me that the reason it survives is because it dares to let go- once more. It does not fear the axe, though it knows it exists. That is the strength of the roots. And that is my strength as well. The adaptability which helps me take in new thoughts, new ideas and change.

This is what I am. I am not connected to my roots. I know where I came from, but I don’t hold on to it. I want to let it go. I want to reach out and this does not make me without feelings; on the contrary. Feeling is the desire to reach out. And then I realized why the picture got the first prize; it is because it subtly tells us to dream, to go beyond. The bud would never open if it fears, if it wants to remain humble. The desire to touch the skies is what pushes the tree upward. This is not a down to earth feeling at all- not to me. Trees are proud of themselves that is why they dance; they are confident that is why they grow- they help us with fruit and shade, but in the meanwhile they don’t stop preening.

12 comments:

  1. It is beautiful.... u remember when i told u "not many have such a beautiful and deep mind." i love ur posts n want to read many more like these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very well said....yup, i do agree with udit....u really have a deep mind with loads of compressed feelings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awsome... have read a good post on someone's blog after a long time. Great going ... next step pen it down for the whole world to see..

    ReplyDelete
  4. The roots of existence pragmatically evolves into the "fruits" of existence ! Very nice thoughts...Cest La Vie !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never knew that a view of a tree could produce such myriad thoughts. Nice articulation indeed. Makes the reader think..whether (s)he agrees with it or not is a different matter altogether.

    I am in all probably from the minority, that is, one amongst the disagreeing set of people, who would ask the question.. You start off by asking yourself the question -"Myself! What am I?" and then go on to talk abt the root and its strength. Does that answer the question that about what you are? (Am I missing a point here?) You are the branch and not the root and as a reader I am on the lookout for a distinct feature/strength that makes the branch feel independent enough to let go off the root.

    I come from the old school of thought that preaches to move ahead with your roots rather than let go off it. To me a BRANCH tht's cut off from the tree does have an existence...but only as a LOG!

    The branches and the roots together make the tree that dances and sways. I don't agree with the thought that holding on to the roots means clinging on and growing inwards.

    Keep writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear A,

    All I meant was that, there has to be a balance. The roots are strong, but their strength has a lot to do with letting the branches go where they themselves did not reach. They don't think the branches are exceeding their limits. I am the part which grows in me. That is what is alive in me. And growth is outwards... away. One has to be liberal enough to grow. One must accept- which is what i will do to your disagreement. :) Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This blog and the comments are my personal favorites!! First would like to congartulate sudip for the amazing photo and also thank for putting it on the blog for discussion!

    Well my feelings and perception is mid way of A's and Bhulbhaal's. All of us have our own school of thoughts thanks to the people who come and go from our life and the experience we have because these "people". This picture gives me a different perspective all together. If we see closely roots have as many braches as we can see above the root(If not more). Root is not a single strand it spreads equally as the branches do. A tree survives and florishes because all the parts stay together and contribute their part in the growth. They understand each others importance and respect that. All the parts have their place and role and all are important and their value is when all are together once separated none have the original value or the identity.
    Similarly for relationship to grow and flourish all those in the relation should understand their place, role and stay together. The respect and exceptence is the key....and this has to come form both sides, as in case of our example. our parents are not parents without us and vice versa. I don't say that I have best of the relations with my parents but that doesn't mean we can't have one, all of us who find it difficult to communicate with our parents have to try and keep on trying till we succeed. One thing is for sure we won't get this life back and we won't get these parents back too....if we understand that then try and make our parents understand......"saying it just don't work is not the solution"

    ReplyDelete
  8. a gud article... seems sm negative things used to being positive.. as i cnt define ab -ve bt wud say u found smthing in urself to stand as positive...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read this post by chance only,but could not resist reading it completely. It was nice to read this. Hoping for some more articles.
    Keep the spirit up.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks DJ. I myself hope to write more. Am just not getting time.

    ReplyDelete